This section provides links to basic information, such as geographical and demographic characteristics, on Sri Lanka.
- The CIA World Factbook section on Sri Lanka contains many brief descriptions, facts, statistics, and maps.
- The BBC historical timeline of major events is still being updated as of 2017. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-12004081
- the Country Overview on the webpage of the Sri Lankan government
- current and recent statistics at the site of the Sri Lanka national Department of Census and Statistics
- The Sri Lankan government’s webpage on gender statistics includes links to four online publications containing extensive collections of historical and current data on gender situations and roles.
- Lankapura: Historical images of Sri Lanka is a collection that includes photos, videos, maps, art, e-books, etc.
- The Asian Development Bank’s 1999 briefing paper on women in Sri Lanka, before going into gender issues specifically relevant to banking, provides two more general sections: “Women in Sri Lanka – Development Context” and “Current Issues for Sri Lankan Women.”
- The UNICEF Sri Lanka page contains information on current issues in Sri Lanka, many of them specifically relevant to women, such as breastfeeding and domestic violence, and it includes a summary of the situation of children and women.