The AISLS Colombo center library has an excellent collection of textbooks, dictionaries and reference books useful for studying Tamil and Sinhala. Some textbooks include audio or audio-visual components. The following resources are also useful.
- A Colloquial Sinhalese Reader
Published by the late M.W. Sugathapala de Silva in 1971, and reproduced here with the permission of his heirs. It may be downloaded for personal use only. A few hard copies are available from Dr. de Silva’s heirs through amazon.co.uk
- Cornell University Language Resource Center
Offers for sale a range of instructional materials for Sinhala that were developed at Cornell University. The sales list includes a 2011 course package (textbook & DVD) for colloquial Sinhala and the only available textbook for literary Sinhala (1974). They also still carry the classic colloquial Sinhala course (1968).
- English Translations of the Reading Passages in James W. Gair & W.S. Karunatilaka, Literary Sinhala (Ithaca: Cornell University South Asia Program and Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics, 1974)
In 2014, AISLS commissioned these translations by Theresa McGarry and Liyanage Amarakeerthi in order to make the Literary Sinhala textbook more useful, particularly for those using it without an instructor. It is available here as a pdf file at no cost for personal use. The original print textbook remains available for purchase from Cornell University.
- South Asia Summer Language Institute, Madison, WI
Offers summer instruction in Sinhala, Tamil and other South Asian languages.
- Tamil Language in Context, University of Pennsylvania
This site offers textual, audio, video and interactive exercise materials for beginning learners of Tamil